Excel Academy takes a modern approach to teaching traditional Martial Art values. We pride ourselves on providing a safe environment for individuals of all skill levels. Physical fitness is only one of the many benefits our karate programs have to offer. All karate classes are taught by Master Miguel Valdez 7th Degree Black Belt.
- Saturday, September 21, 2019 at 8:30 AM – 3 PM
- Grace Preparatory Academy – Arlington, TX
3300 W Interstate 20, Arlington, Texas 76017
- Tickets on sale July 1 at 12 PM
Technique of the Week:
Open Stance – Punch with Backleg Round Kick
Closed Stance – Punch with Turn Kick
With help from our wonderful Cookie Monster 🍪 (Brooke)
For Beginner Belts (use an open stance):
1. Throw a fake punch, but remember to sell it! Stop halfway through. Make sure your other hand is answering the phone.
2. While your opponent attempts to block your punch, attack with a backleg roundhouse kick.
For Intermediates and Advanced Belts (use a closed stance):
1. Throw a fake punch. Sell it! Stop halfway through.
2. While your opponent is focused on blocking your punch, spin in the opposite direction into your turn kick.*
*When you are spinning, think of the motion you use when turning on a traditional lawnmower. Grab and twist your body in a fluid motion.
Technique of Week:
Back fist with Ridge Hand 🤚 to Groin Area.
For Beginner Belts (Gold and Orange):
1. Stick with the previous technique of the week (Back fist – Ridge Hand)
Review: Slide-up roundhouse kick, back fist, and following through with the ridge hand.
For Intermediates and Advanced Belts:
1. Start off in your fighting position with right leg in front.
2. Throw your left arm halfway out as if you’re throwing a reverse punch – remember you’ve got to really sell this!
3. Step into a fore-balance and drop your lead hand into the groin area.
Big takeaway from this technique is that your opponent needs to believe you are going to follow through with your reverse punch. Sell it!
*Start off by doing each step separately. Eventually you will back fist and step to the side at the same time.